Friday, October 07, 2005

Chanting with Dervishes & a Meal with the Homeless

It is past 10 in the evening (Friday, September 30) and I am sitting at Fido’s (a coffee shop on 21st Avenue, 2 blocks from my office) recalling the magic of the last few hours… Before leaving work close to six hours ago, I changed into my fatigues, a blue t-shirt and a comfortable pair of cross trainers. I brought a change of clothes to work knowing what my mission for the night would be: find a homeless person, buy them dinner and learn a little bit about their life.

Today was a strange mix of totally synchronistic events with a few consistent, but easily overcome road blocks. I hit almost every traffic light on my way to work, forgot my pager and my mobile phone, I was late for two of my meetings and for the one I was on time for, the neurosurgeon I was meeting didn’t show. Thankfully, I did get to speak with him later in the afternoon. Aside from all that, it was an enchanting day. I was asked to attend the first Outpatient Order Entry Committee meeting and had more than enough to contribute. My team also put together a very successful educational luncheon on Deep Brain Stimulation (I think this will be the first of a series).

No comments: